Monday, April 4, 2011

Journal Entry- Culture Shock

Today in field study preparation class we talked about culture shock. We talked about an assigned article called "Coping with Culture Shock" by Ferraro.

In this article, there are stages in culture shock that travelers go through:

  • The Honeymoon Stage
  • Irritation and Hostility
  • Gradual Adjustment
  • Biculturalism
When we talked about these stages in class, our teacher, Ashley, said that she didn't want to number them because it's not that black and white or straightforward. In fact, we will probably go from one stage to another and then back again, maybe even to square one, throughout our trip.

This is interesting to me because I know that culture shock is definitely something that I will go through, but it's just one of those things that I have just brushed off thinking about and honestly have been hoping that it won't effect me that much. But after today, I realized that it is going to be a real challenge and something that might hinder my progress if I don't become aware of it and of the symptoms. Especially because something that I know about myself is that when I'm under a lot of stress or if I'm self-conscious in a situation, I tend to clam up and shut myself away with a book, other activities, exercise, etc. Because I know that there will be times during which I will feel uncomfortable, I need to be aware that this coping mechanism doesn't become something that distracts me from my studies and experience.

I think another thing that I've been thinking a lot about, especially when it comes to culture shock, is how the other members of my group are going to deal with it, and how obvious it will be when they are going through really tough times. It's nice that I have a husband that I can travel with and talk to about and relate these kinds of difficulties with, but I want to be able to help my other group members when they need help too. It will be interesting to go out in the field with all girls (besides my husband). Especially because we all have such different personalities, and probably different reactions and ways of coping with our newfound situations. I hope that we will be able to rely and depend on one another for support and comfort, because girls need that kind of thing.

I honestly can't believe that we're wrapping up the semester and getting ready to go. As I look back, I realize that my project is almost nowhere near how it originally started, besides the basic, rudimentary idea. And that's something that I really love about this semester and my project. As I look ahead, I know that I still have a long way to go, but I'm feeling more and more confident each day with what I have so far, and I feel as if I'm getting prepared pretty well, at least as well as I can be. Now to prepare mentally. That's probably the main reason why I was glad we covered culture shock today; because I feel as if it's getting so real and so close, and that it's finally time to really prepare mentally to go. I've been researching tips on how to endure and enjoy long flights, I've been researching in-country travel, I've been getting all the business taken care of, we're moving stuff into a storage unit this week, we've found a place to live when we get back, and I know how to say that I'm a BYU student and how old I am in Tibetan (and more, if I have my notes...). But preparation isn't just checklists and business. I will continue to prepare myself mentally for the experience, and I am glad that we had this reading and discussion to help me do so.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you've done what you can. You're right, you have a great group with a lot of diverse strengths that will be a boon to your own experience, even while you are a strength to them in their experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Books I'm Reading

  • My Spiritual Journey by H.H. the Dalai Lama
  • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin