Friday, April 8, 2011

Journal Entry 1 million

Oops, I guess I didn't realize we were supposed to continue writing journal entries during project presentations.

Well we're leaving in a month from tomorrow. I'm packing boxes for storage right now. My Tibetan class is over. My project presentation is done. My project proposal final draft is a work in progress.

The good news is that I feel as if I know just what I want to do and I felt like my presentation went alright. That day was a very stressful day, I had a major assignment due for one of my classes, and I was trying to organize a surprise for TJ, as it was our last Tibetan class that night. I didn't have one second of spare time to make brownies so I had to buy some from Sugar and Spice at the Cougareat. That made me late to class. I had a basic outline of what I wanted to talk about in my presentation, just a list of the answers to the points that were required for us to make. I got up to do my presentation and remembered just then (I didn't have time to remember earlier) that I hate presentations and I get extremely nervous while I make them. I'm comfortable talking and making conversation, but when it comes to big groups, I think that I freeze up a little.


Some more good news is that even though I was very nervous, I felt somewhat prepared to give the presentation. Not because I purposely prepared for the presentation, but because I feel like I know my project and my goals and intentions well enough that I can talk about them, even if I seem to blabber and talk too fast. At least I don't have a loss for words on my project. I think that this is a good sign. My mixed-group facilitator didn't have any questions for me, and I still don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I think I hit all the points I was supposed to in the presentation, though I doubt I did it very efficiently, and I'm worried I didn't hold my audience's attention super well. Even if my project isn't fascinating to everyone else, I'm really excited about. I'm REALLY excited about it!!! And that's all that matters, I suppose.

So TJ has asked us to deliver a package to some friends in India. Don't worry, they're just some slippers that someone over there really likes and can't get in India. This has been interesting to see reciprocity in action. TJ has taught us diligently, even though he has never taught before and isn't trained on preparing and carrying out lesson plans, he has shown an interest in our learning and has shared some wonderful stories and experiences with us. He has sacrificed a lot of his time and money for gas to come teach us, and he felt comfortable asking this favor of us. He told us that the couple we will be giving the slippers to will take us out to dinner. There is some more reciprocity!! Everyone helps each other or pays someone else back in one way or another.

What are the things I can do to maintain proper reciprocity with my host family? Especially if they're going to help me accomplish my goals of meeting and interacting with other families? How am I going to maintain reciprocity with those other families? In a culture where guests aren't normally allowed to help out around the house or (heaven forbid) in the kitchen, what can I do to help out but not offend? I will think of ideas and also try to survey the situation a little bit better when I arrive in the field, in ONE MONTH!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Julia, reciprocity is something I'm a bit concerned about, too. The other day I was talking on skype to my friend Norbu who has helped me a great deal, and I asked him if there was anything I could do to return his kindness. He just laughed and didn't respond. I don't really know what I can do over skype, but we'll have to share ideas when we're in India!

    ReplyDelete

Books I'm Reading

  • My Spiritual Journey by H.H. the Dalai Lama
  • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin