Friday, January 28, 2011

Journal Entry

In my field study prep class, we recently talked about perspectives and culture, and how they relate to each other. In a writing exercise, we were challenged to write what we think the definition of culture is. This was difficult because it seems as if culture isn't something that can be defined by words, or really defined by any means at all, but is to be observed and reflected upon, and is something to which one later refers in sentences such as "it's part of the culture" or in phrases such as "culturally acceptable." The definition I settled on is: culture is a term used to define what and how individuals believe based on their religion, history, geography, etc. and how their actions and lives/lifestyles express those beliefs.

Now when it comes to perspective, I think that culture is viewed differently from different perspectives. An individual views their own culture as the norm and other cultures as unique, kind of how I talk normally and people from England have accents, but from an Englishman's perspective, I have an accent.

Now in relation to my project, it's important to remember that there will be things I do and viewpoints that I have that will be unique to my culture and from the perspective of one in the Tibetan community, will definitely not be considered the norm to them. It goes both ways. There will be things I see that do not seem the norm to me. The way Tibetans parent may be completely different because they have a different culture, and from their perspective, that is the norm.

So, then, it is my goal to be able to see through the Tibetans eyes rather than being an outsider looking in. In order to understand their culture, I'll need to change my perspective.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

3 comments:

  1. It is good to be mindful of these things now, because you are totally right, you will see things that are definitely not the norm. In fact, do you remember in Tibetan language class what T.J. La was saying about parents and teachers and beatings? Chances are you will see things that you not only don't consider normal, but things you do not agree with. It is difficult to know how to respond in a situation like that, and it is something to try and decide before you get into a tricky situation like that. What is our role?

    Also, here is another student in our class's blog who had a different take on this reading. What do you make of it?

    http://abrahamcontos.com/2011/01/25/culture-blends-by-agar/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great point Julia! Another thing that I think is important to note is that we do not have a perfect culture and that other cultures have light, also. There's a fabulous, fabulous quote in italics on this post (not the email but the realization). Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In anthropology we talk about the emic versus etic view of other cultures ... basically the insider versus outsider perspective. Ideally you would capture both perspectives in learning about another group of people. While there are things you will never notice as a complete outsider, there are also things you won't see as a complete insider.

    ReplyDelete

Books I'm Reading

  • My Spiritual Journey by H.H. the Dalai Lama
  • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin